Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Meet the family for May 31, 2011



Angela Denise Kerlin is 38 years old today, born in 1973.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGEL!!!!!!  Angel is Walter William Wooden's wife and they live in Lawrenceville, Gwinnett, GA. Angel is the wife of the boys' uncle.



Effa June Stanford is 131 years old today, born in 1880 in Stanford, Clay, Illinois.  She unfortunately died less than two months later on July 5, 1880.  Effa was one of a set of twins born to David Stanford and his second wife Nancy Ann Kenley and is the boys' 2nd great-grandaunt.  Effa's twin sister is Etta May Stanford and her big sister is Margaret Jennie Stanford the boys' 2nd great-grandmother who married Joseph R. Wooden.


Frank N. Smith
is 164 years old today, born in 1847 in New York.  He died at age 88 on April 25, 1936 in Elmira, Chemung, New York. Frank is the husband of the boys' 2nd cousin 5 times removed, Waite L. Cleveland.  Waite's father is Morgan R. Cleveland the boys' 1st cousin 6 times removed.  Morgan's mother is the boys' 5th great-grandaunt, Nancy Ann Cotton whose older brother is the boys' 5th great-grandfather, Ira Cotton who married Sally Gold in 1811.

Rev., Hezekiah Gold
died 221 years ago today in 1790 at age 59 in Cornwall, Connecticut. Hez is the boys' 1st cousin 9 times removed.  He is also their 3rd and 5th cousins 9 times removed via other lines.  He married Sarah Sedgwick November 22, 1758 in Cornwall, Litchfield, Connecticut.  They had 3 children, Thomas Gold 1759, Capt, Benjamin Gold, 1762 and Thomas Ruggles Gold 1764.  Thomas Ruggles Gold was a US congressman serving in the House for the state of New York starting in 1809 and again for Connecticut beginning in 1815.  His bio follows:
Elected Office(s):     Representative
Elected Date(s):     4 Mar 1809
[4 Mar 1815]
State:     New York, Connecticut
Country:     USA
Biography:     a Representative from New York; born in Cornwall, Conn., November 4, 1764; pursued classical studies, and was graduated from Yale College in 1786; studied law; was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Goshen, Conn.; settled in Whitesboro, Oneida County, N.Y., in 1792; assistant attorney general of New York 1797-1801; member of the State senate 1796-1802; unsuccessful candidate for election in 1804 to the Ninth Congress; served in the State assembly in 1808; elected as a Federalist to the Eleventh and Twelfth Congresses (March 4, 1809-March 3, 1813); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1812 to the Thirteenth Congress; elected to the Fourteenth Congress (March 4, 1815-March 3, 1817); was not a candidate for renomination in 1816; resumed the practice of law in Whitesboro, N.Y., where he died October 24, 1827; interment in Grand View Cemetery.
 Another Story:
Thomas R. Gold, Families of Olde Whitesborough 1784-1824
Added by bright93 on 10 Jun 2009

Source:  Sperry, Claire C. and Sperry, Charles B. Families of Old Whitesborough 1784-1824.  Whitesboro, NY 1984, pgs. 83-85, 167.

        Thomas Ruggles Gold was born in Cornwall, Connecticut on November 4, 1764, the son of Hezekiah and Sarah (Sedgwick) Gold.  Thomas was fifth in the line of descent from his immigrant ancestor, Major Nathan Gold.

Thomas Ruggles - 5;  Hezekiah - 4; Hezekiah - 3; Nathan - 2; Nathan - 1

        One of the Grantees named in the Charter Oak was Nathan Gold who had emigrated to Connecticut from Edmundsbury, England.

       Thomas Ruggles Gold did not serve in the Revolutionary War, but his father, Hezekiah Gold did serve as a Private.

       Thomas Ruggles Gold pursed classical studies and was graduated from Yale College in 1786.  He then studied law, was admitted to the bar and commenced his law practice in Goshen, Connecticut.  It was there he met and married Sarah Sill, sister of Theodore Sill who later became his law partner in Whitesboro.  She was the daughter of Dr. Elisha and Mary (Heaton) Sill.  Dr. Elisha Sill was a Surgeon in the Revolutinary War.

       When Thomas was 28 years old, he with his wife, and daughter, Harriett Lavina, moved to Whitesboro, New York where he set up his law practice.  He like so many others of Connecticut succumbed to the call to the Whitestown Country.  He lost but little time in becoming involved in the politics of this adopted state.  

     In 1796, four years after Thomas R. Gold's arrival in Whitesboro, he was elected to his first political office, that of New York State Senator.  He served from 1796 to 1802 under President, John Adams and Vice-President, Thomas Jefferson.   Thomas was a Federalist.  From 1797 to 1801, he served as Assistant Attorney General for the State of New York (at this time it was legal for a man to hold two state offices at the same time).  Peggy's Note: In George Washington Irving's book the Life of George Washington, a letter to Washington is signed by John Jay and Thomas Ruggles Gold.  Copy of the letter was found in the Rare and Manuscript Collections, Carl A. Kroch Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York.

       On March 23, 1799, he was a member of the Aqueduct Association which had been formed to provide water to the future Village of Whitesboro.

       In 1800, he was made a member of the Council of Appointments.  Also, in 1800, he entered into law practice with his brother-in-law, Theodore Sill in the law firm of Gold and Sill.  They operated a law school for many years (many men who late became famous attorneys receiving their training in this school.

       He was unsuccessful in his run for Congress in 1804.  He was elected to the State Assembly in 1808.  He ran in the Federalist thich to the 11th and 12th Congresses, serving from March 4, 1809 to March 3, 1813.  He was defeated for re-election in 1812 as a member of the 13th Congress, although he was again re-elected in 1814 to the 14th Congress (March 4, 1815-March 3, 1817); he was not a candidate in 1816.  He then resumed his law practice in Whitesboro.

       In 1804, Thomas R. Gold sold the land on which the Presbyterian Church built to the United Presbyterian Societies of Whitesboro and Old Fort Schuyler, Presbyterian Church.  An interesting note is:  that after the erection of the Presbyterian Church in 1803, in leveling the ground around the church, Mr Gold drove the oxen that were attached to the plow and Jonas Platt use a spade and shovel.

       During Mr. Carnahan's pastorate over the United Societies of Whitestown and Old Fort Schuyler, he preached a portion of the time on the Lord's Day in the morning at Whitesboro and in the afternoon at Fort Schuyler (Utica).  Deacon Thurston, a grand man, rich in faith, and poor in this world's goods, would walk from Whitesboro to Fort Schuyler during the intermission.  Mr. Gold purchased and presented him with a good horse, saddle, and bridle.

       In 1807/8, Thomas Ruggles Gold was one of the founders if a joint stock company under the name of The Oneida Manufacturing Society with a capital of $200,000.00.  On February 2, 1808, they purchased land and water rights from Amos Wetmore, and in 1809, they erected a 3 1/2 story brick building which was known as the Oneida Factory.

      In 1807, he was the defense attorney in the famous Hitchcock Trail in which a Mr. Hitchcock, a teacher of Madison, NY, who was married became enamoured with one, Lois Andrus.  He purchased arsenic from the local druggist, went home and managed to mix some on his wife's plate of food for the evening meal in a vain attempt to solve his dilemma.  The trail took place in Cazenovia, NY, and Mr. Gold lost his case.  Mr. Hichcock was hung in Cazenovia on September 11, 1807, and reports say that thousands came to the spectacle.

      In 1811, he became associated with many prominent local men in the establishment of the Oriskany Manufacturing Company which was organized to manufacture woolen goods when a shortage was feared with the prospect of the coming war with Britain.

     Thomas Ruggles Gold was one of twenty-four founding trustees at Hamilton College when the college received it's charter on May 26, 1812.  According to land records at the Onieda County office.  He made two donations of land for the college as his support of the $ 50,000 given.

      Upon his retirement from Congress, he resumed his practice of law with Theodore Sill with whom he had formed a partnership in 1800.  He died October 24, 1827, and was interred in Grand View Cemetery, Whitesboro, his grave being marked by a red stone monument enclosed by an iron fence at the top of the hill overlooking Whitesboro.  His wife died on July 18, 1854, at the age of 87 years.
Source: Sperry, Claire C. and Sperry, Charles B. Families of Old Witesborough 1784-1824.


Jesse Alma Hulgan
died 58 years ago today in 1953 at age 63 in Dekalb county Alabama. Jesse is Ella and Mason's 1st cousin 4 times removed. His father is Stephan Nicodemus Hulgan, Ella and Mason's 3rd great-granduncle. Stephan's younger brother, John Miller Hulgan is Ella and Mason's 3rd great-grandfather who married Ruth J. Copeland in 1871 and begot Thomas Franklin Hulgan in 1876.  Thomas is Ella and Mason's 2nd great-grandfather.

John Henry Chambers
died 95 years ago on this day in 1916 at the age of 68.  John is Ella and Mason's 3rd great-grandfather.  Born in Hall county GA in 1848 John married Sarah Matilda West in 1871.  They begot Noah Benjamin Chambers in 1879 who married Dellia Keever in 1908 and begot Nellie Chambers, Ella and Mason's fraternal great-grandmother in 1909.  Nellie married Cecil Robert Hulgan and begot Duard Robert Hulgan in 1953.

Noah Benjamin Chambers
died 68 years ago today in 1943 at age 63 in Decatur, Alabama.  Noah is also Ella and Mason's 2nd great-grandfather.  Noah married Dellia Keever in 1908 and they begot Nellie Chambers in 1909.  Nellie married Cecil Robert Hulgan and they are Ella and Mason's Great-grandparents.

Blog Archive