Thursday, April 07, 2011

Meet the family for April 7, 2011

NAUGHER-FAMILY LINE

NAUGHER
Brent Naugher is 60
years old today, born in 1951.  This Brent Naugher is Tara and Calum's 2nd cousin once removed.  His father is Frank Naugher, their 1st cousin twice removed, whose father is their great-granduncle, James Loid Naugher, the brother of Great-grandfather, Horace Savage Naugher.  Brent died in June of 1973 at 22 years old.

STEIBLE/WOODEN-FAMILY LINE

STEIBLE/WOODEN
Ceasar Alford Steible
is 103 years old today.  Known to everyone as Al, he is my Grandfather or Granddaddy as we called him and Steve Jr's Great-grandfather.  Everyone has someone or several someone's that influence them the most as they are growing up.  This man was and is a hero to me.  He taught me how to walk on stilts, to work with wood and to fix things.  He taught me to fish and to run a boat and to shoot a gun.   He raised his family from age 12 when his father said he was old enough to earn a living.  He did it with a bicycle shop.  Then he worked in a foundry during the depression, and built houses before power tools.  He was an electrician and the reason I'm in construction today.  Finally he was a brewer at several different beer companies, after all, he was German. Many times he worked 2 and three jobs at a time to make enough money to make sure his family was OK.   He didn't finish high school, but he knew more than any person I've ever known.  Just like Dick Myer, Al Steible was the person all his friends and neighbors called on when they had a problem.  He was a lot of people's hero.  Granddaddy would have been 103 today.  I would have thought he, if anyone, could make it to 100, but he died at age 76 in Stover Missouri on November 15, 1984 of pancreatic cancer.  It wasn't pretty, but he died with a grace and dignity that I aspire to.  He told the priest that visited him that he had lived a long and wonderful life and was ready to meet his maker.  I hope he did.  I don't regret many things in my life, but I can count the number of times I disappointed Granddaddy, and I regret that.  And I remember every one of them.  I'm a very emotional person and as I am right now, I stood at my Grandfather's bedside as he was dieing and cried like a baby.  I'm sure that was a big disappointment to him.  My brother Steve did something that I deeply admire him for and envy his ability to do.  He stood next to Granddaddy and without crying, thanked him for everything he had taught him and told him he loved him.  I couldn't get those words out, and that is my last regret with my Grandfather. This story I repeated from last year and the year before, but I thought it was worth repeating again for the permanent record, I couldn't add anything to it, except.  I miss him.

BEATTIE/STEIBLE/WOODEN
Margaret Jane Beattie
is 37 years old today, born in 1974.  Margaret Steve's 2nd cousin once removed is one of our lost cousins that I recently found.  Her mother Linda Matson married Joseph Roy Beattie in 1972.  Joseph is Steve's 1st cousin twice removed.  Joseph's mother is Steve's great-grandaunt Wilhelmia Catherine or Catherine Wihelmia Steible, but everyone called her Minnie.  Minnie was born on my birthday August 21, 1904 and is 4 years older than her brother Ceasar Alford Steible who also celebrates his birthday today.  Happy birthday Margaret Jane Beattie from your lost family!!!!

GOETTER/STEIBLE/WOODEN
Darvin Goetter
died 26 years ago today in 1984 at age 56.  Darvin is Steve's great-granduncle's wife's brother.  Darvin's sister is Mildred L. Goetter.  She married John W. Steible ad begot 3 children, Paul, Jane and Kevin John Steible, who are Steve's 1st cousins once removed.  John W. Steible is Al Steible's only brother, even though John was only 3 years older than Al's daughter Betty.  They had 5 sisters though, but John was the last child born to Caesar Augustus Steible and Louisa Wildmann, both from the old country.

COTTON/WOODEN-FAMILY LINE

BURR/GOLD/COTTON/WOODEN/BRIDGFORTH-DAY
Elizabeth Burr
is 279 years old today, born in 1732.  Elizabeth was born to Colonel, John Burr and an unknown mother in Fairfield, CT.  She married Colonel, Abraham Gold in Fairfield on January 1, 1754.  Colonel Gold is the boys' 7th great-granduncle and the brother of Abel Gold who married Ellen Burr and begot Talcott Gold in 1759.  There is a lot of Revolutionary history in this part of our family.  Colonel Abraham Gold was killed by the British at the battle of Ridgefield in Fairfield county, Connecticut on April 27, 1779.  He died an American Citizen. If you want to read about the historic battle go to   http://www.ridgefieldct.org/content/42/249/1077.aspx

RAY/COTTON/WOODEN/BRIDGFORTH-DAY
Margaret A. Ray
died 144 years ago today in 1867 at age 34.  Margaret is the boys' 3rd great-grandaunt.  Born to Thomas Ray, Sr and Susan in 1832, Margaret's younger bother is Thomas B. Ray who married Charlotte Brown and begot Lottie B. Ray in 1865.

COTTON/WOODEN/BRIDGFORTH-DAY
Samuel Cheney Cotton
is 196 years old today, born in 1815. Mr. Vice President, as we like to call him, is the boys' 4th great-grandfather.  He married Almira Walker in 1834 and begot 3 children, the middle child being the boys' 3rd great grandfather Hubbard Cotton in 1838. Hubbard married Mary Hazelitt in 1861 in Hector, Schuyler, New York and begot 4 children, the first being Samuel Hazelitt Cotton in 1862.  Haze, is the Cotton who married Lotti B. Ray in 1887 in Appleton City, MO and later begot Marie Antoinette Cotton who married Walter William Wooden Sr.

EARNEST/BROWN/RAY/COTTON/WOODEN/BRIDGFORTH-DAY
Sarah Earnest
is 205 years old today, born in 1806.  Sarah is the boys' 4th great-grandaunt and the sister of Rachel Earnest, the boys' 4th great-grandmother.  Rachel married Resin D. Brown in 1834 and begot Charlotte Brown in 1839.  Charlotte married Thomas B. Ray and they begot Lottie.

POWERS/BANKS/COTTON/WOODEN/BRIDGFORTH-DAY
Edward Adorno Powers
is 150 years old today, born in 1861.  Ed is the boys' 2nd cousin 4 times removed.  His mother is Lydia Ann Banks, 1st cousin 5 times removed.  Lydia's father is 4th great-granduncle, David Bradley Banks, the 1/2 brother of Samuel Cheney Cotton, via their common mother Sally Gold.

MYER/BROWN-FAMILY LINE

PHILLIPS/BARNETT/MYER/HAWKINS-HULGAN/JENNINGS-HOSLER
David Barnett and Sarah Phillips'
220th anniversary is today, married in 1791 in Oglethorpe, Georgia when his was 14 and she just 11.  Must have been either a mistake or an arranged marriage.  David and Sarah are the girls' 6th great-grandparents.  They begot Abel M. Barnett, the 7th born of their 13 children.  Abel married Rachel and begot David Barnett in 1833.  This David married Jane C. and are the girls' 4th great-grandparents.  They begot Lucy E. Barnett in 1858, the first born of their 7 children.  Lucy married Dedrick Henry Meyer in 1875.  The following is David's last will and testament that I recently came across:

Will of David BARNETT
Will Book "D" from 1833-1866 Oglethorpe County, GeorgiaIn the name of God, Amen. I, David BARNETT, of the state of Georgia, County of Oglethorpe, being of advanced age, but of sound mind do make this to be my last will and testament, thereby revoking all other wills by me made.

1.   My will and desire is that at my death, I shall be buried in a Christian like manner.

2.   My will is that all my just debts be paid at my death, or, as seen thereafter as may be convenient from the sale of property, if necessary.

3.   My will and desire is that at my death all my property both real and personal (except as herein after provided) be sold at public outcry at the place of my present residence, and the proceeds thereof be divided equally amongst all my children, except Benjamin Johnson BARNETT and William BARNETT, to each of whom I give and bequeath, one dollar each, upon such terms and conditions under such restrictions and limitations as herein after mentioned. My reason for excluding my said two sons, Benjamin Johnson BARNETT and William BARNETT, is, that I have already had to pay for them more than an equal share of my estate and amount too.

4.   To my youngest son, George W. BARNETT, who is now in the service of his county (country?), and may never live to return, in that event, I wish his share of my estate to go to and be equally divided between his brothers and sisters of full blood.

5.   To the children of my deceased daughter, Cretia H. HAYES (HAYS), I give and bequeath one equal share of my estate, except Tabitha POWERS, wife of Bennett POWER, her share of my estate given to my dear daughter, is to go to and belong to her children, that is, to the children of my granddaughter Tabitha POWER, as aforesaid.

6.   To my son James BARNETT (married Sarah WEBB), I give an equal share of my estate.

7.   To the children of my dearest daughter, Nancy POWERS, wife of William POWER, I give and bequeath one equal share of my estate, except to Buson POWER, who is now dead, and to Bennett POWER, who has not acted in a becoming manner.

8.   I give and bequeath to my daughter, Mary COILE, wife of James COILE, during her lifetime, and at her death to go to, and be equally divided between my said daughter's children, share and share alike.

9.   To my daughter Martha WOOD, wife of Fountain WOOD, I give and bequeath for her sole and seperate use during her lifetime, and at her death, to be equally divided among her children, share and share alike.

10. To Viney E. DUFFIE, wife of James DUFFIE etc. To my niece Elizabeth SIMMONS etc. To Frances, wife of Charles G. McCRORY etc. To Elizabeth Ann. To A.J. BARNETT. To John F. BARNETT etc. To Samuel C. etc. To Archibald H. etc and George W. BARNETT, all share and share alike.

Signed, David BARNETT 2 June 1831 Recorded 4 Sept 1831 Wit: John V. COLLIER Benj. WEBB James C. CHANDLER

WOODEN-FAMILY LINE

WOODEN/BRIDGFORTH-DAY
Isaac Owen Wooden
died 62 years ago today in 1949.  Isaac is the boys' 2nd cousin 5 times removed. His father is Abraham Wooden, 1st cousin 6 times removed whose father is John Wooden, the boys' 5th great-granduncle, the brother of Robert Wooden, jr who married Jane Barnhill in 1809 in Jefferson, Kentucky.

Blog Archive

Followers